You need these materials for a pendibulle:
- Square piece of fabric
- Embroidery floss
- Tapestry needle
- Polyfill, quilt batting or thread clippings
- ~20 cm (7.9'') of ribbon
- Design suitable for corners
- Backstitch a square big enough for your corner motifs on your fabric (my square is 50 x 50 stitches). It is preferred that you use floss which shade is very close to your fabric's shade. I chose a bit darker for this square because it's more visible and therefore better for purpose of tutorial.
- Stitch the motif to opposite corners.
- Trim off the excess fabric. Leave ~8mm (1/3'') of seam allowance on each side.
- Wash and iron the piece. Iron the the seam allowances to the backside to make the finishing process easier.
- Fold the square so that it becomes a triangle. Note that the corners of the motifs are supposed to be facing each other on the tip of the triangle.
- Take one ~1m (1.1 yards) strand of the floss you used for the backstitching, thread it and attach it securely to the back of the backstitches in the corner.
- Take the ribbon and knot both its ends. Place the other end to the corner where you start (you can attach it with a pin if you feel like it).
- Use whipped backstitch to sew the pieces together.
- When you have closed about 75% of the edge, fill the pendibulle. Note that the "wings" shouldn't be filled.
- Attach the other knotted end of the ribbon to the tip of the other "wing" and close the seam.
- Don't end the floss yet, but use it to attach the tips of the wings to each other. You can do this by few small, well hidden stitches in the backstitches.
- Now, you basically have a pendibulle and you can secure and finish your thread.
- ... but I will add one more step and attach the tips of the wings to the body of the pendibulle with few well hidden stitches.
- Then I decided to add a bow to hide the tips (which I had no need to do, it was neatly done, but I wanted to have some decoration).
- Now, it is ready to be hung.
It wasn't all that difficult, was it?
When I started making this piece I decided to give it away, so, if you wish to have this just leave a comment with your email address before 31st fo March, 2008, midnight and I will draw the winner in April Fools Day.
(Yes, those are chess boards. I was playing CC (as I have recently got badly addicted to it) when I was making this.)